Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I need to know to maintain WHS compliance?

A: To be WHS compliant is a simple matter of reviewing your in-house requirements for the following:

  • Emergency exit lighting
  • Electrical testing and tagging
  • Portable Fire equipment on site, including fire blankets, hose reels, hydrants, smoke alarms & fire indicator panels.
  • First aid kits.

We also suggest you keep a log book on site for all your safety provisions. Logged asset and testing reports can be filed together. Maintenance made easy!

Q: I need a compliance certificate? So, what now?

A: If we have completed an audit and performed the on-site maintenance required, we can provide current and historical quick reports for you to add to your essential safety provisions log book. Our data is live!

Q: Can I do my testing yearly?

A: Testing yearly is not following the Australian Standards. Firewatch SA insurance will not cover works left untested past the six-month testing regime. Customers are not encouraged to miss a service as it’s a vital time to test and check to ensure your extinguishers work adequately.

The WHS Act 2012 requires all businesses to comply to WHS regulations and equipment to be serviced according to Australian Standards. For your convenience download our compliance chart here.

Q:  Before I call Firewatch SA, what info do I need to have on hand?

A: The questions we will ask you are:

  • What is your location?
  • What type of service are you after?
  • What fire safety essentials do you currently have at your site?
  • How long ago was the last testing maintenance performed?
  • Do you have any vehicles on the road?
Q: Why do we service fire equipment?

A: All fire equipment is tested in accordance with the Australian Standards 1851 and requirements of WHS act for compliance, and in accordance with the Minister’s specifications and Building Codes of Australia (BCA).

Q: What types of business can Firewatch SA assist with?

A: Hospitals, Aged Care Facilities, Dentists, Doctors, Hairdressers, Vineyards, Production offices, Carparks, Prisons, Local halls, Airports, Funeral homes, Churches, Motels, Caravan parks, Lawyers, Small and High Rise Office Buildings, Golf courses, Sporting clubs, Bakeries, Schools, Strata titles, Retail outlets, Health and medical, Cafés and restaurants, Farmers, Mining, Oil and Gas, Mobile businesses, Commercial landlords, Storage facilities, Light industry, Care homes, Emergency services, SA Government sites, Primary industry, Fitness and lifestyle, Research centres, Shopping centres…in fact, anyone with an ABN needs to be aware of WHS and essential safety services.

Q: How often can I expect a bill for fire maintenance?

A: Twice a year after maintenance has been performed in accordance with the Australian Standards.

Q: Do I need to carry an extinguisher in a commercial vehicle?

A: Yes, all commercial registered vehicles need to carry a small extinguisher with a hose (1kg – 1.5 kg DCP is recommended.)

Q: Does Fire equipment on farm need testing twice a year even if I have no employees?

A: A property will be regarded as a business if you have an ABN therefore you must comply with the Australian Standards. All fire extinguishers are pressure filled vessels and regular testing and maintenance will be required.

All farm vehicles should carry an extinguisher, it is a requirement under the Country Fire Services act for vehicles travelling into paddocks to have a knapsack / air water extinguisher and a shovel. If in doubt, please contact your local CFS for more information.

Q: Is it a good idea to have a maintenance log book?

A: It sure is. Firewatch SA can provide you with a logbook to keep your test dates, regimes and results all in one spot. The technicians can sign off testings as they go along so you always know where you are at. Testing made simple.

Q: Can I just come into the shop and just get what I need for my business?

A: Yes, you can. However, we prefer to give you the best advice by coming out to your premises and checking your personal requirements as it’s often not fully explained within a shop environment. Some things may be forgotten. E.g. I have fuel drums on site!

Q: Do passenger buses need fire extinguishers?

A: Yes, they do and need to be tested under the Australian Standards.

Q: I have a portable caravan and trailer that operate on-site at fairs and stalls. Do I need extinguishers and fire blankets?

A: If you have stoves and ovens for cooking, then fire blankets are required. Extinguishers are required to be maintained and checked as part of the onsite bylaws for functions.

Q; I am leasing a shop, is it up to me to pay for the testing of onsite lighting and equipment?

A: Have a look at your existing leasing contract. If you’re responsible, then yes, it’s up to you to make sure this is completed and that you pay for the test. If you’re not responsible, the landlord will organise this to be completed and, in most cases, the bill will be sent directly back to you (outgoings).